The following resolution was approved unanimously on April 10, 2020, by the Executive Committee of the Northwest Michigan Party of Michigan.
As Libertarians, we propose a call to action by fellow Libertarians as well as citizens of Michigan, United States, and the world.
Unprecedented edicts and executive orders have been issued by Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer, Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel and Michigan DHS Director Robert Gordon. These edicts cite public safety and concern as reasons to impose them upon us. We do not get to vote on whether or not we accept these executive orders.
16 Am Jur 2d, Sec 177 late 2d, Sec 256 states: The general misconception is that any statute passed by legislators bearing the appearance of law constitutes the law of the land. The U.S. Constitution is the supreme law of the land, and any statute, to be valid, must be in agreement with the Constitution. It is impossible for both the Constitution and a law violating it to be valid; one must prevail.
The time has come as citizens to enact our constitutional rights with the following actions:
1 Support each other in times of crisis and promote love and compassion for those who are affected by this virus;
2. Be responsible and follow the medical recommendations regarding the spreading of the virus;
3. Be vocal against these executive orders when communicating to others, and on social media;
4. Write our governor, attorney general, and state representatives and tell them that these orders are unconstitutional and unacceptable;
5. Peacefully protest at city squares, capitols, county offices, and other public venues to show we will not stand for the abuse of power and disregard for human rights and civil liberties;
6. Bring legal action against the State of Michigan in regards to these edicts, specifically regarding EO 42 of 2020/
It is time we take a stand and stand together in unison for our freedoms.